There a couple of things in life that everybody just knows. One of those things is that everyone loves Girl Scout cookies. Forget Christmas, Girl Scout cookie time is the most wonderful time of the year! A few months ago Seth and I finished off the last of our boxes of cookies saved in the freezer. Then Chasing Delicious featured a mint chocolate chip cupcake which instantly won my heart. (They won his affection too. Stop over to Chasing Delicious and watch the beautiful video he made for these tiny cakes of joy!) This weekend I made my own cupcakes of happiness and they tasted just like a Thin Mint. Bliss!
Girl Scouts are welcome just about anywhere. In fact, they are the only solicitor that I am happy to see when I answer the doorbell. Blue Cricket Design even designed a no soliciting sign… that excludes Girl Scouts!
I myself used to be a Girl Scout. One year during my cookie selling spree I can up with the brilliant marketing plan to have a box open for people to sample before signing up to purchase a box. Turns out no one needed convincing but I appreciated the chocolatey snacks while I worked the neighborhood! Still I think it was genius!
Fast forward to today. I have no Girl Scout cookies in my kitchen. Not even in my secret hiding space under the sink. I am in need of the cookie. That is where Chasing Delicious came in and saved the day! These cupcakes make me fall in love with them and want to take them to the park and dance (seriously, watch the video.) After you try these you too will start your beautiful relationship journey with the cupcakes. I promise.
These cakes are moist and delicious. Obviously. The chocolate chunks hidden inside offer a surprise of gooey goodness when you take your first bite. The mint is not overwhelming and fills your senses with a cool sensation and good memories of childhood. Yes these are like miracle cakes. A miracle in that we can enjoy our favorite thin mint cookies in many dessert forms!
They are just damn good.
Go chase your delicious! (sorry, I had too!)
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
from Chasing Delicious
Frosting Ingredients4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temp 4 cups powdered sugar 2 tablespoons heavy cream 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1. Preheat an oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper cups.
2. Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy,about 5 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated well.
5. Add both extracts and mix in well.
6. Add half of the dry mixture into the egg mixture and mix until combined. Add the chopped chocolate to the other half of the dry mixture and set aside.
7. Mix in the buttermilk and mix until combined.
8. Add the remaining dry mixture with the chopped chocolate into the batter and mix until just combined.
9. Spoon the batter into the lined muffin pan. Each cup should be filled to just above the brim.
10. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out just barely clean (a few straggling crumbs is ok).
11. Let cool and prepare the frosting by mixing all of the frosting ingredients together until they come together to form a frosting.
12. Once the cupcakes are cool, spread the frosting on each using a piping bag and your preferred piping tip or you can use a frosting spatula. Sprinkle chocolate shavings on top and a couple mint leaves if yo have them lying around.
**I used mint extract as my store didn’t offer peppermint. Additionally, I topped my cupcakes with mini chocolate chips.