Tis the season for baking sweet treats for everyone you know! Or you can let them do it themselves and give them the gift of cookies. It’s kind of like the teach-a-man-to-fish version of a sugary Christmas gift. Everything to make a delicious batch of holiday M&M and chocolate chip cookies is wrapped in a pretty jar and tied with a festive ribbon. Who wouldn’t like that gift? It is sure to make you the best gift giver this season!
And your little secret? It won’t break the bank to give everyone on your list a thoughtful and fun present. I purchased all of my supplies at the local dollar store. The ingredients were inexpensive and I was able to pack 13 jars in about an hour. How’s that for some holiday happiness!
Here is what you will need:
1. Pint mason jars-these are more practical in size to give as a gift. The recipe makes about 6-8 cookies which is nice for a couple people to share.
2. Ribbon-to tie the jars with and make them pretty!
3. Christmas stickers-optional but they helped hold the ribbon in place
4. Cards-this is where the recipe and your greeting are included. My Dollar Store had packs of 9 gift cards for $1. (Score!) I have attached a powerpoint document with customizable cards with a holiday greeting and the recipe.
5. Ingredients: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, green and red M&Ms, chocolate chips, baking soda. (I credit Loralee Lewis for creating and perfecting the recipe!)
Fill each pint mason jar with:3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 cup white sugar 1/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup Christmas M&Ms I recommend using a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off to funnel the flour into the jar. This keeps it from sticking to the sides. If you are mailing your jars, I suggest using the brown sugar as a packed in protective layer. After you fill the jar with the flour, sugar, and baking soda, add the brown sugar. Use a flat surface (I used the flat head of a meat thermometer) to firmly pack the brown sugar to form a solid layer over the sugar. Then add the chocolate chips and the M&Ms.
The lucky recipient of your cookies in a jar will need the following instructions:Empty contents of jar into a large bowl. In separate bowl combine 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of butter, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add to dry mixture. Drop by tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 6 to 10 minutes.
These are just the perfect sweet treat for your loved ones to enjoy themselves or to leave for Santa. Package the jars with a note for them to open their gift on Christmas Eve.
click here for a printable christmas cookies card